Well I didn’t really want to get involved with this thread, however being a First Nations fishing guide I couldn't let uninformed people keep making comments about my brothers in Washington State. First of all it is a privilege that you can go fishing at all. Whereas, it is the born right of every Native to provide fish for his family and to make a moderate livelihood. For thousands of years the natives along the Pacific Coast have been fishing and managing the fish stocks. They took only what they needed for food and for barter with interior tribes who had more access to deer and other game. At the time of contact with Europeans the rivers and coastline were teaming with fish of all species. That was only 250 years or so ago. Since that time the Natives have watched all the fish stocks plummet from degradation of the ecosystems from pollution, logging, industry, and over fishing by commercial fisheries. Some of these stocks are now at serious risk of failing all together.

Now to understand the rational of the average native of today’s world... we have basically sat back for the last two hundred years or so and watched this happen to our fish stocks. I understand why some natives might be frustrated by watching people come into there traditional territory and continue on the legacy of fishing what they feel are their fish stocks. Now I don't and would never condone the tactics of slashing tires. I am after all a fisherman too and would hate to have tire issues on any fishing trip... I would give up my spare tire to anyone in need.

I started my career as a fishing guide when I was 18 yrs old. Even at that age I could easily see that I was catching too much fish for my own preference. So I wanted to spend time working on rehabilitating the stocks. I worked as a fisheries officer for 7 years stationed on a River that had a fish hatchery on it. I patrolled the river and helped to write management plans and harvest plans and I also enforced these plans, among other duties. I don't think that there is any doubt that the continuation of fish stocks is the most important agenda item for the First Nations of the coast. And for any fisherman for that matter.

Personally I think the wonders of the Pacific North West should be shared with people from all walks of life it is one of the most stunning places on earth. I certainly hope that my children will be able to experience everything that I have experienced with the Great Pacific Ocean as I am sure we all do. Instead of standing around pointing fingers and dishing out blame we all need to work together to not only find common ground but we need each other if we ever get serious about trying to rebuild these fish stocks.