Quote:
Originally posted by grandpa:

My viking anscestors probably taught the tribes some of their rape and pillage techniques...I guess the sword never took off in indian country though. Maybe too heavy?
I believe all they found of the Viking invaders here were... bones. I don't imagine they expected people here to have arrows.

I know where some of you are coming from though... I know there are certain individuals out there that feel that the fish stocks are near collapse and that they'll be dambed if they will let non-native fishermen take the last fish. I certainly don't condone or practise this type of behaviour... they way I was taught... take only what u need nothing more and be sure to give back when you can. The individuals catching too many fish will have it come back to haunt them in 4 years from now when the returns are low. No matter whom you are conservation and survival of the species is the most important thing. The seals and sea lions take up to 46, Million pounds of fish every year. The commercial fisheries in Alaska took Five billion pounds of fish and shellfish that were harvested from Alaskan waters in 2002 alone. In the same time frame another 580 million pounds from BC. These are all pretty huge numbers compared to the take by both Natives and Sporty’s combined. No, I still believe the bigger problem isn’t the pressure form either the Natives or the Sporty’s but the overall pressure on the resources from everyone combined. I spent my time on the river ensuring the survival of that river system for the time I spent on it. It gave me great satisfaction putting something back into the resources that I enjoy like the rest of us.