Originally Posted By: Sol
Thicker wire means bigger cross-sectional area, Vince, which minimizes the pressure and reduces penitration. Same reason it's easier to set a barbless hook over one with a barb. As the hook penitrates the area breaking the surface increases. You can read this shi% and still not understand the dynamics of what is happening. Think about it.

I wasn't clear when I wrote "Wouldn't a hook perform better, i.e. have superior penetration AND maintain the integrity of the hook bend (not open up) if the wire diameter would thicken where the stress is greatest during the fight? "

What I was asking was if the wire was of different diameter at different points, would it help the solve the problem of balancing penetration versus hook strength. The area of a hook bend where the deformation occurs seems to be far enough up the bend (say about midpoint of the hook bend, up to where it meets the shank) that any additional thickness shouldn't interfere with penetration.

I was following the discussion just fine. I just wanted to restate my question so it was clear.

I'm glad that not every thread gets as nasty as this one. The wife won't post on here because she's afraid to ask questions and then have someone call her stupid for asking. As it goes, my skin is not much thicker than hers.

VHawk