Originally Posted By: VHawk

Same reason hunters zero in there rifles prior to hunting. Same reason guys spend hours playing around with different custom powder loads and measuring the difference of an inch at a 100 yards. Same reason that bowhunters can tell you the total weight of their arrow shaft and broadhead within the tolerance of a duck fart. Same reason that guys pattern their shotguns. To squeeze out every single extra bit of efficiency in order to increase success.

A day of salmon fishing can have direct costs of anywhere from $40 on the low end, to easily over $200 per day if your running a boat. If one considers opportunity costs, i.e. the chance to work overtime, a day just bank fishing can costs hundreds. If I'm throwing that kind of money around, I want to know that the terminal gear I'm using is reliable in quantifiable terms.

Not many other sports tolerate such huge variances in what the equipment manufacturers state in the marketing, and what is the truth. Imagine if they sold milk like they sell hooks and line. You could be getting anywhere from 2/3 a gallon, or 1 1/3 gallons in the jug marked 1 gal. Or it could be whole milk, 2%, or nonfat milk. You know how pissed I'd be to pay money for 2/3 gallon of nonfat milk? As pissed as I'd been if I had bought those vision siwash hooks.

OMFG, this is some great stuff here, folks.........we've got a real genius on our hands here. I think I'm going to just start whorshipping this guy and give up any rational thinking whatsoever(insert extreme sarcasm here). Vhawk, please share some of those meds with us, so we can experience what it is like to be a genuine "know-it-all".

First of all, information is only as good as the source. If you have to ask "how", then you are not qualified to state "why". Anybody with a pliers and a half-ass grip can test hooks. Grab it, bend the hell out of it, feel the difference..........real rocket science, eh?

I'd be pretty pizzed off too if I got 2/3 of a gallon of milk that was marked 1 gal. because then I'd know that I was blind as a bat.

"Sorry, honey, I didn't realize that the milk was only 2/3 full and I was too gosh darn blind to look through the transparent container or I would have noticed. Hmmm, I'd better taste it before I return it. Yup, it's nonfat in the 2% container I tell ya......it's a conspiracy by the dairy farmers, I tell ya. I think I'm going back to the farm now and milk them cat teats, then I'll know exactly what I got".

Drinking milk is a sport? Read what you write and please write analogies that carry weight. "comparing apples to oranges".....we all know that one. Imagine the looks you would get talking about "comparing milk to hooks". Doyee factor of ten for sure!

Stop trying to be high and mighty.....well, if you are high, then that's ok, but please just stop the mighty part. Do you really need to use such big words on a fishing forum? You want something quantifiable? Ok, go away for a while and come back when you pass the MCATs, and get accepted to a "quantifiable" medical school.

I want to increase efficiency in my fishing abilities so I fish, fish and fish some more. Learn by doing, that's what I do, or do I do what I do by learning, doing what I learned all along?

Fishing tackle purchases are not based on whether you think you might be loosing some (speculated) income because of unreliable fishing gear......it's based on past experience and common sense. Certainly not based on hoity toity theories that wannabes pull out of their ass. If you buy a pack of hooks and it sucks, then don't buy them again. If you like them, continue to use them. So a hook breaks or bends, big fish lost, the "theory" behind why it happened doesn't need more than a little 30 second mental rewind, a 20 second review, and 10 more seconds of slapping your palm against your forhead saying "Doh! Doh! Doh!". Get over it, you are not a tournament fisherman, you are not a full-time guide, or in the tackle sales or manufacturing industry. If you are a weekend warrior, then it's just a fish or a fish story.....sucks, but it's not the end of the world.

No need to test hooks for sport, ok, Sport? Here is an example of potential income loss:

I've been using Trojan condoms for a long time. Broke a few, tried Lifestyles, broke them too. Thought about it for 60 seconds and then I tried Magnums and haven't broke one since. Avoided income loss with a 60 second thought. No testing, although it would have been fun to test every brand, but risky due to potential product failure because broken condoms could lead to pregnancy, pregnancey leads to child support, child support leads to decreased income, which leads to overtime, which leads to less fishing time and then I couldn't afford quality gear so I might buy somthing unreliable. Little bigger deal than a pack of potentially defective fishing hooks, right?

How about common sense? Got any? That's what I use and it didn't take long to realize that I was not buying defective condoms, I just trying to fit 1 1/3 gallons of milk in a 1 gal. jug..............now that's some quantifiable sh!t right there, ain't it? ;\) \:D

Peace

My name is Kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiddddd.....
KID SAUK!!!!!