Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
Sure, at the end of the day we're all trying to catch a fish, and for some catching the fish is all that matters, and for others there is more that matters.

I think you have a good enough understanding of my motivations to know that I am in it a lot more for the experience, adventure, and process than numbers of fish caught. That having been said, I really enjoy catching fish and that is a significant part of it for me.

I can understand casting method and tool preferences and how those affect one's enjoyment of the process. I don't understand how, all other factors equal, a fly made from natural materials vs. one made from synthetics enhances the fishing process. The tying/creation process sure and maybe it satisfies some ethical need or preference. The enjoyment I get out of catching a fish on a fly I tied is the same regardless of what it is made out of. As long as it casts and fishes well, I could give a flying poo what it is made out of. I kind of always thought that the main reason to put something on the end of your line was to get a fish to bite it smile If the latter (fly) doesn't have much of an impact on the former (method/tool), why not use something that is more like to be eaten?

Sincere question, if given the option to fish a waking fly (your ultimate experience?) that fish ate readily or one that they almost never ate, would you choose the latter purely because you had to work more for it thus finding the overall experience more rewarding? I know, I know, the fly matters very little.

It's the same ol' line that distinguishes fly fishing from conventional spinning and casting gear which I think has been rehashed more than enough.

I guess I am still looking for a clear definition of that line. More than that, I am curious as why in the minds of many there needs to be one.

it causes me to think that your either haven't fly fished very long or at least not long enough to learn how effective it is, or that your need to catch a fish exceeds any desire to catch one under the self-imposed constraints of traditional fly fishing.

Fair in some ways. Although I would consider myself pretty darn new to swinging flies for steelhead, in the end I have spent a lot more time chasing fish with a fly rod in my hand than a gear rod. Mind you that is not a claim to be proficient with either. My method ADD doesn't let me stick with one thing long enough these days to get good at any of them. Good in this instance meaning both technically correct and highly effective in the catching realm.

What is "traditional fly fishing" and to that end, how many sects are there within fly fishing? Traditional, non-traditional, old school, new school, etc. Are they all clearly defined or does it depend on which campfire circle you happen to be sitting around when the topic comes up? Do dirty nymphing bastards even get a mention? What if they nymph with "traditional" nymphs and no indicators. What about indicators but egg patterns made from all natural materials? Are you sure you don't find the idea of all these arguments and how seriously people tend to take them just a little ridiculous? smile

The old school doesn't frown on inovation. I think what the old school frown on is taking the easy way out. Modifying materials and methods to attain conventional gear catch results with a fly rod is considered taking the easy way. That's why you won't see old schoolers nymphing for steelhead with a bobber and split shot or trying to make a plug or spoon out of a fly.

The easy way out of what? Modifying from what? I don't mean to be facetious, but it seems as though a certain standard is being referenced. What is that standard? I don't think there needs to be a comparison with conventional gear at all. Maybe that is where my perspective deviates from the norm. On the river I really only feel like I am competing with myself, whether I am choosing a highly effective method or choosing another in favor of style or process more than number of fish hooked. I fully understand having a strong preference for tool and/or method over effectiveness. That having been said, I also know that more traditional fly fishing methods can be highly effective, especially when employed by skilled fisherman and women. New to it as I may be, I feel pretty confident in saying that more traditional fly methods (however you choose to define those) will never rival catch rates on hardware, bait or a number of other methods. Of course there is not a thing wrong with that, but instead of making a value judgement on other methods or those that choose to use them, I think the good attitude to have is one that says "this is how I like to fish" and not "my way is better than your because..."

Three friends of mine were on the Hoh a few seasons ago, and in an alcohol induce epiphany decided to swear off using graphite rods and pitched a stack of perfectly good Sage rods (I saw the photograph, and it's real) into the campfire. They fish only bamboo now. That's farther than I'm willing to go, but it must be right for them.
[quote]

In your opinion, did they do this because switching to bamboo will lead to a far more enjoyable experience in end, or because it was the cool thing to do within that circle? The social and/or group elements are definitely a big part of the experience and I don't mean to discount those or say it isn't fun to be part of a clique. I don't think it is right however to scoff at those who choose to use graphite or to imply that their methods and tools are inferior based on merit at least. Not saying that is the case with these guys of course.

Originally Posted By: SalmoG

How I catch fish matters to me because the "how" affects the satisfaction I get from the experience.

Of course and I couldn't agree more. My personal formula still gives a little more weight to the "hows" that catch fish more often over those that catch fish less often, admitting my own inadequacies in the process. As more time goes by, I get more and more enjoyment out of some of the smaller facets of the pursuit like getting fish to eat weird unconventional things or reeling them up on a fly rod I built. Who knows, in a few more years I might have a bonfire of my own.

All in good humor and for the sake of interesting discussion of course.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."