Redhook,

I'm not saying you lied, but a 28" SRC is larger than the state record, and at 5# would be a very skinny trout. That's all. If you insist your fish was 28" and 5#, well that's on you.

I guess I thought you said somewhere you were bad at caring for gear. If not, that's super, because you've got some good stuff that was your dad's. I hope you take care of it.

Jgreen,

Congratulations on taking up fly fishing. A lot of people find it's great fun.

I don't believe I've ever said I was better than anyone else. More knowledgeable about some things, sure. Maybe my posts have been hard for some to understand. I think I've made a fair effort to help Redhook, while at the same time telling him to not try and BS me. Ya' see, it works like this: I'm more inclined to want to help people who appear to appreciate the assistance than people who don't. Very simple.

I agree that the gear one uses makes no difference - to a point. There is some real junk around, especially some old stuff. But the industry is extremely competitive these days, and most gear is very serviceable at all but the very lowest price points.

Sg