BB.....we are not in total disagreement. My only exposure to coyotes and cattle was on my Grandpa's 80 acre farm between Sultan and Monroe and the situation there didn't lend itself to aiming to discourage. We shot and hung 'em on the fence posts.
My shooting range was chicken eggs set on top of fence posts and I could pick them off almost without fail at 100 yards with open sites. I used the remnants as range markers when hunting coyotes. Nothing cruel about clean kills....I'm sure you won't find me saying that. I agree with the trapping comment. I've cut the broken leg off a raccoon after it got entangled in an old fenceline. Don't know if it made it or not, but at least it was free again.
I happen to live on 5 acres now with a few larger parcels adjoining mine, so the option to "teach" is available to me....and it has been working.

Roy....Do the animals move elsewhere? sure....that's the idea. Pretty weak argument, IMO. I don't buy for a second that you kill them to help your neighbors. smile

Anyway, I'm outa here.....wasn't trying to crap on anybody's party....but maybe at some point this discussion will cross someone else's mind, and they'll laugh when they knock that coyote's ear down.

Edited by Slab Happy (01/27/13 06:15 AM)