Originally Posted By: slabhunter
Dogfish, I did not mind former Commissioner Jennings views. I would rather err on the side of conservation than maximum exploitation.

I believe harvest reform is in order!

I would agree that some sort of harvest reform is needed as well, but Jennings wasn't a conservationist, he was a preservationist. Two different animals entirely so don't kid yourself. He preferred non-use of the resources, really pushing his "non-consumptive" user stance. Non-consumptive user was his go to phrase, along with biodiversity.

Using data gathered from the dive group he participated in as the basis to influence ideas he was in support of was a big conflict of interest. The data he presented could not be considered to be from an arms length independent source.

Looks like we've started a big old dog pile. Great.

Just so you know, I also finance a number of commercial fishermen. Crabbers, both tribal and non-tribal, charter boats (in reality a portion of the commercial fleet), a number of longliners, a few geoduck divers, a handful of shellfish growers, and 5 or 6 gillnetters who fish in Alaska. Yes, I am the Devil himself. Go commerce!

Unemployment in the Harbor is something many of you folks outside of this county have no clue about. When we dip under 10%, we are doing backflips. In reality after taking into account viable workers who have stopped looking for work the true unemployment figures are much higher. Our elected officials work at protecting established commerce and jobs.

There are plenty of people employed by the sports fishing industry at this moment along the coast. There is also plenty of excess capacity to serve additional customers as it stands. Is there any anecdotal information that says the approval of this bill would automatically increase jobs? Show me that. There isn't a shortage of opportunity for sports fishermen to fish out here on the coast either. Try fishing one of the many open Puget Sound rivers in February and March. Aren't those managed on the basis of sports anglers first? How is that working out?

I look at both sides because I know families affected on both sides of the issue.

What is Puget Sound Angler's stance on this? Are they for this, against this, or neutral?

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.