Here is a copy of the email I sent to Rep. Blake. I CC Rep. Liz Pike as well.

Representative Blake,

Recently there has been a lot of internet traffic and interest on many of the Web forums regarding HB1660.

You need only do a search on these to see that HB1660 has overwhelming support from the sport fishing community, which holds a large majority of state citizens who are stake holders in this issue.

It has also come to light (and has been posted) that you are opposed to this bill, and responded with reasoning like this:
“Yes I am saying that sport fishing for salmon in Washington State will be worse off if HB 1660 were to become law. Puget Sound has had the sports priority called for in the legislation for twenty years and I do not want the piss poor chinook and coho fishing that occurs now in Puget Sound to become the norm in my fishing areas. Willapa sport fishing was off the charts this year, my local guide friends had spectacular salmon seasons in the Chehalis basin, B-10 was off the charts this year for sportfishing. Why bring failed Puget Sound management to these fisheries?”

You surely understand that the Sport Fishing community is a little better informed than that?

To justify your opposition to this bill with reasoning like that is ridicules. Have you even bothered to consult with the DFW biologist regarding the decline in salmon returns to the Puget Sound?

The time has come, both environmentally and economically for the State to move on this bill.

Your opposition and apparent move to stall this bill is shameful. Consider the economic impact that a robust sport fishing culture would have in your district. Short term there may be some adjustments in the transitions away from a commercial gill netting based economy, but in the long term your “guide friends” will be very thankful to you for your future thinking support!

I'm sure the buggy whip manufactures felt much the same way as you do. But Rep. Blake, it is time to stop being a road block to the future and betterment of the State.

We, the huge Sport Fishing community, ask you to have the courage to support this bill, and demand you allow it to the be voted on!

Fish On!

Perry Menchaca
USA 1SGT (Ret)
Washington State Sport Fishermen since 1974

1Sgt U.S. Army (Ret)