Originally Posted By: OncyT

Look, the tribes can ask for anything they want in a negotiation with WDFW. So can WDFW. None of it means [Bleeeeep!] until the other party agrees. What it appears is that there was an agreement that if there are more fish, certain tribes can fish, but the non-treaty fishery will not. Please ask your representatives in those negotiations why they agreed to that.

If you can tell me who "our representatives" are, I'll give 'em a ring and ask that question. Of course, you can't tell me that, because we HAVE no representation, particularly where the real decisions get made (which is before any sport interests get any say). OUR representatives and senators are supposed to be taking care of US (by that, I mean American citizens, not other sovereign nations seeking to deny us our right to fish).

I can't begin to understand all the BS policies WDFW and the Tribal Overlords have come up with to "co-manage" Puget Sound salmon to the state they're in today, but one thing is abundantly clear: non-tribal interests are NOT getting access to fish to which the law entitles them. Whether that's due to bargaining from a neutered position or political strong-arming (I suspect the later), it's not fair.

By the way, after 30 years in the business, it appears you have adopted a twisted definition of the term "co-manage." Co-management implies two or more parties working COOPERATIVELY to manage something. What you described as co-management (both sides trying to manage the resource for themselves, unilaterally) is closer to the reality, but it's NOT co-management.

Defending poor policy is poor behavior, in my opinion.

Edited by FleaFlickr02 (09/15/16 09:27 AM)