LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#444711 - 07/21/08 12:59 PM weighted cheaters for float fishing bait.
chrome demon Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, WA
I am a drift gear bottom bouncer… corky, yarn and pencil lead type. However, I have been spending some time fishing with floats this summer and have really enjoyed the fishability of this technique for certain conditions. most of the water I am fishing this time of year is super clear- unlimited visibility, etc. last time out I was fishing eggs with yarn only- 1 or 2 split shots about 12-18” above my bait/ hook and then 36-42” leader with 2 split shots above the barrel swivel. thill balsa float above that. it looks like my bait is floating naturally- which I like in shallower stretches, but also makes it kind of tough to detect bites in deeper water. I fished one stretch where the water was probably around 10’ at the deepest and kept getting my bait robbed without detecting anything on the float or line (and yes, I am keeping my mainline off the water and my float is straight up and down). sometimes I could see the smolt/ cutthroat grabbing my eggs, but could not feel it on the line or detect it on the float. Was wondering whether a weighted cheater (dark color, black in high visibility conditions) would help my presentation stay down near the bottom- and whether the taught line would result in better detection of the activity on my bait? anybody mess with weighted cheaters? or have an alternative to rigging? see the image below for my current set-up...

Thanks!

Attachments
Float Diagram 01.jpg

#444713 - 07/21/08 01:14 PM Re: weighted cheaters for float fishing bait. [Re: chrome demon]
laterun Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Napavine,Washington
I never put any split shot above my swivel for this reason. It seems to create a dead spot when you have those light mouthing type bites. The current can carry your bait up slightly higher in the water column and when you have a bite it does not register to the float. I have seen my float actually rise up a little in the water before going under. It has happened enough times to make me change the sinker location. Just my observation.

#444716 - 07/21/08 01:36 PM Re: weighted cheaters for float fishing bait. [Re: chrome demon]
jdna Offline
Fry

Loc: Woodinville
try a pack of dead weights. I've used them w/ eggs and they work fine.

#444717 - 07/21/08 01:44 PM Re: weighted cheaters for float fishing bait. [Re: laterun]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Just my opinion, but a couple things you might try.

Use a slip bobber with a shorter leader. You might also consider using a inline weight system with the slip bobber set-up. Fishing 10' deep water will be easier with a slip float.

Spread your splitshot out on your leader, rather then having them together.

A weighted cheater or dedfish drift weight will help keep your bait down. You can also very easily make your own.

Is your 10 lb mainline mono or braid?

Edited by stonefish (07/21/08 01:48 PM)

#444721 - 07/21/08 02:06 PM Re: weighted cheaters for float fishing bait. [Re: stonefish]
chrome demon Offline
Returning Adult

Thanks for the input so far. I will try the weighted cheaters that I bought a few weeks ago- since I already have them. and I have a slip float for deep pools which I can use. and will try moving the split shots as suggested. I use 10lb mono mainline, suffix elite on a spinning reel, 10'-6" rod rated for 6-10lbs.

#444724 - 07/21/08 02:30 PM Re: weighted cheaters for float fishing bait. [Re: chrome demon]
cheapskate Offline
Spawner

My only comment is don't listen to fishermen, who will (mistakenly) tell you that deadfish weights (or weighted cheaters) placed next to your hook are "illegal" under the non-buoyant lure restriction.

#444734 - 07/21/08 03:00 PM Re: weighted cheaters for float fishing bait. [Re: cheapskate]
Gray Ghost Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Washington
My two favorite Cheater bait weight riggings are, cerise pink Cheater bait weight, shrimp tail and flame red Cheater bait weight, egg cluster. Peg the bait weight with a peice of theaded rubber band and use no extra weight above the bait weight. If more weight is needed for higher flows, use larger bait weight 0r jig and larger float. Depth more accurate, cast better and drifts more naturally with no extra weight above the bait weight or jig. Been rigging my float rigs this way for a while now with no extra weight above the bait weight or jig with good success so far.

#444743 - 07/21/08 04:04 PM Re: weighted cheaters for float fishing bait. [Re: Gray Ghost]
chrome demon Offline
Returning Adult

Thanks- I know that Outdoor Emporium sells the weighted cheaters, so I will give them a try. I have some flame colored which works well with cerise yarn and either SS or roe on the rivers I fish. The floating is really working out well so far for mid-late summer fishing when water is lower and slower. some of my favorite spots were tough to drift... super small pencil lead was not going anywhere.

OK, not to derail the discussion, but do you guys mend your drift with an open bail using a spinning reel? I was doing this allot this last outing and then the bobber goes down and what next? with the bail open, you can't really set the hook without taking line out. perhaps I should palm the spool? or do you turn the spool and hope that the fish is still there by the time you slam it?

#444746 - 07/21/08 04:20 PM Re: weighted cheaters for float fishing bait. [Re: chrome demon]
seastrike Offline
Hey Man....It's cool...

Loc: seattle
Use a baitcasting reel. Much better for float fishing. I just started float fishing last year and learned my lesson on using a spinning reel.

#444749 - 07/21/08 04:30 PM Re: weighted cheaters for float fishing bait. [Re: seastrike]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
If the float goes down when your bail is open, just keep your cool, reel up the slack, and set the hook. You'll find that the majority of the time, the fish will still be there.

Don't listen to seastrike about the baitcaster thing. He's a crackhead. grin

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#444752 - 07/21/08 04:44 PM Re: weighted cheaters for float fishing bait. [Re: Dan S.]
seastrike Offline
Hey Man....It's cool...

Loc: seattle
Greenhead.

#444755 - 07/21/08 05:02 PM Re: weighted cheaters for float fishing bait. [Re: seastrike]
Gray Ghost Offline
Juvenile at Sea

The only time I use a baitcasting reel for float fishing is for power float fishing during high flows using large bait weights and jigs. Any other time espesially summer I'am using a spinning reel with medium to light action 101/2' spinning rods. Some of the reasons I prefer a spinning real for float fishing medium to low river flows are, I can feed line out with an open bail as I'am mending at the same time, I can't do this with a baitcaster. It is alot easier to feed line out with open bail to extend the float drift at low river flows with a spinning reel. A spin outfit is needed to cast light line, small jig, small float set up. Always open and close your spinning bail manually, never by turning the handle. As far as setting the hook on a float take down free spooling line with an open bail, quickly close the bail manually and reel all slack line as fast as possible till tight to fish and set the hook quickly by swinging the rod low towards your bank. Can be a little tricky doing the spinning real open bail hook set, but can be done. You are going to miss a few float take downs, but that's part of the game.

#444762 - 07/21/08 05:25 PM Re: weighted cheaters for float fishing bait. [Re: Gray Ghost]
Jason Y Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Poulsbo
I have tried them, with bait and with worms. But I am not sure if the weights matter. From what I have seen, the paint comes off so fast. You might as well just use a split shot.

Here is a pic, of a wormed up buck. With a weight, well from what I recall I was using a weight

Attachments
IMGP1471_resize.JPG

http://www.madrivermanufacturing.com/swstore1.htm

Jigs, injection molded worms made in the USA

#444766 - 07/21/08 05:36 PM Re: weighted cheaters for float fishing bait. [Re: Jason Y]
Gray Ghost Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Bait weight and worm is a good combo also. Be sure to peg your bait weight so it dous'nt squish your threaded worm down the leader, I prefer a peice of threaded rubber band, done by folding over a peice of mono. to use as your threaded.

#444773 - 07/21/08 05:59 PM Re: weighted cheaters for float fishing bait. [Re: Gray Ghost]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
I'd make my own out of sliding trout weights and powder coat.Pinching split shot on the leader doesn't make sense to me,it weakin's your leader strength.I weight my float with a sliding sinker or pencil lead with a hole in attached to a snap swivel.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

#444864 - 07/22/08 01:47 AM Re: weighted cheaters for float fishing bait. [Re: STRIKE ZONE]
Pasco steelhdr Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Pasco, WA
Google up "shotting". It is almost an art form and the Europeans have it down to a science. Of course they are mostly carp fishing smile

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (Excitable Bob, 1 invisible), 1098 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645292 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |