THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#810066 - 12/24/12 08:24 PM Re: Surprise, surprise (The NRA's suggestion) [Re: ]
j 7 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Your monitor
Originally Posted By: Banned User
Quit being a pussy and accept the risks intrinsic to a free society.

There are no guaruntees in a free society.....

Originally Posted By: Chuck S.
J7 - if your so paranoid that you feel you cant be safe at work ... the other guy won.

quit being a paranoid nutcase and live life as it should be.

Pretty easy to say when you're not on the front line.

j7 2012

#810069 - 12/24/12 08:31 PM Re: Surprise, surprise (The NRA's suggestion) [Re: j 7]
Us and Them Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Seattle
j7 the drive is approximately 1000x more dangerous to everyone than a school shooting. If you were worried in proportion you would ride the bus with a helmet and personal air bag .

#810071 - 12/24/12 08:41 PM Re: Surprise, surprise (The NRA's suggestion) [Re: ]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
Originally Posted By: Banned User
Originally Posted By: stlhead
Was he supposed to respond to the theory that these mass shooters have all been somehow programmed?

This...:...

In case you hadn't noticed I don't have much

You waste words and time, idiot.

ho bye bye

#810077 - 12/24/12 09:07 PM Re: Surprise, surprise (The NRA's suggestion) [Re: Us and Them]
j 7 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: Tom Joad
j7 the drive is approximately 1000x more dangerous to everyone than a school shooting. If you were worried in proportion you would ride the bus with a helmet and personal air bag .

Yeah especially the way I drive.

I understand its rare, I understand that it may never even come close to happening to me. But, whats wrong with me carrying a pistol for protection where I'm the preferred target? Accidental discharge? Pretty rare and I'm liable. Shoot the wrong guy? I'm still liable for that. Shoot the right guy? That would be encouraged by all getting shot at. You're scared of me? Who's the pussy now?

I'm not satisfied with anybody being a bullet sponge until the cops arrive. Let me arm myself and put some protection there.

j7 2012

#810079 - 12/24/12 09:29 PM Re: Surprise, surprise (The NRA's suggestion) [Re: j 7]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

J7,

So do it already.

It sounds like you understand that school mass shootings are a statistical outlier of extremely low probability. Because the risk is so low, there are no good, cost-effective, reasonably accepted by everybody kind of solutions that would further reduce that low probability by another 90%. Every teacher and administrator could conceal carry, and that would not prevent the next mass shooting, but more likely than not it would significantly reduce the carnage. But from reading about this on internet forums I've learned that a majority of people, internet types at least, are adamantly opposed to teachers, administrators, and some are even opposed to having commissioned police officers on campus. Good luck.

Sg

#810085 - 12/24/12 10:36 PM Re: Surprise, surprise (The NRA's suggestion) [Re: Salmo g.]
j 7 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: Salmo g.

So do it already.

Sg

I wont because the risk of getting fired, going to jail, loosing my gun rights altogether is far higher than a mass shooting occurring in or near my class. Deliberately breaking laws wont help me or you. So everyone do me a favor and keep your guns away from the local whacko and I'll be at work to soak up a few rounds just in case I hit the mass shooting lottery.

j7 2012

#810140 - 12/25/12 01:31 PM Re: Surprise, surprise (The NRA's suggestion) [Re: ]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
Like Coley, I see no simple solutions here. I am okay with having an armed guard, not so much with armed teachers. I do think the guards should be VERY well trained on shooting in a crowded scenario and in a hostage scenario. My concern is we have seen many instances in which trained cops have shot innocent bystanders. The one the comes to mind recently was in Times Square where the cops did get the bad guy, but shot something like nine bystanders.

My other concern is the fact that so many schools sprawl all over the place. In those cases it may take a dozen guards to adequately cover the area. I think our kids are worth the cost, but we need to recognize the coat will be significant and we need to do it right with no corners cut on the training.

Another "solution" I don’t see mentioned too often would be doors that the teacher can lock from the inside. That seems relatively low cost and might help a lot in some situations.

The fact is there is nothing we can do to prevent 100% of these situations.

#810147 - 12/25/12 02:14 PM Re: Surprise, surprise (The NRA's suggestion) [Re: Dave Vedder]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
With all due respect (certainly not tic) Dave, I see a problem with the idea of an armed guard, so to speak, vs. a few armed teachers.

First.....numbers. One guard down with one bullet, then no defense. Maybe a combination of both?

I think collateral damage is a possibility.....and unavoidable. Weigh that against an unchallenged gunman.....no comparison. There is not going to be a perfect choice and I think the best solution is to put as much weight on the side of child protection as possible.

I do agree with your last statement.

#810188 - 12/25/12 07:02 PM Re: Surprise, surprise (The NRA's suggestion) [Re: Dave Vedder]
j 7 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: Dave Vedder

My other concern is the fact that so many schools sprawl all over the place. In those cases it may take a dozen guards to adequately cover the area. I think our kids are worth the cost, but we need to recognize the coat will be significant and we need to do it right with no corners cut on the training.

Another "solution" I don’t see mentioned too often would be doors that the teacher can lock from the inside. That seems relatively low cost and might help a lot in some situations.

The fact is there is nothing we can do to prevent 100% of these situations.

I agree with the sprawl issue. Especially at a college campus.

I think the locked door would be problematic at a college but adapatble. In college people are free to come and go as they please and every day someone is runing late. I'd have to stop every time and let them in. Disruptive but perhaps safer unless the shooter is one of the students in the class. I dont know how that would play out if people are confined to the classroom or trapped where they cant get to the door to get out and the help cant get in. The guy at V-tech chained the doors shut in a similar fashion. Seems ripe for the hostage situation as well.

I dont understand how a techer with a concealed carry permit is two different people. The teacher could have a concealed carry permit and be sitting at the table next to you and your family at a resturant with a gun. And that is OK because he/she went through the proper legal channels and the police trust him/her enough. But when the teacher crosses the campus border he/she becomes a complete imbisile incapable of handling the risks and responsibilties he/she already accepts. Why and how?

If its so rare and so costly then leave it to personal choice. I thought personal choice was a big deal these days so allow the teachers to make a choice. Lift the gun free zone BS. Its not about saving everybody its about saving yourself. If you can save yourself and it helps everybody then thats great. But it should be about saving yourself.

If you want cheap. The concealed weapons permit costs the carrier more than the provider. If you want training then make the carrier pay for the training if they want to carry on campus. Have full disclosure with pictures and meetings with police, faculty, and adminstraters of who is carrying at school and when they will be there. Very cheap and very responsible.

j7 2012

#810723 - 12/28/12 01:08 PM Re: Surprise, surprise (The NRA's suggestion) [Re: ]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
My estimate was $80,000 per officer, and based on Clinton's grant program, the cost was $133,000 per officer, and that was in 2000 or 2001 dollars.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1391 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |