Yep, just stay happy for table scraps.

I wonder when they’ll update their 20+ year old “science” now that updated, better funded and more in-depth studies with multiple universities, state and federal agencies have found that the more hatchery fish you have, the better chance you have of not hooking a wild fish. Or that mortality isn’t anywhere near 10%. That’s not what the special interest groups want, so probably never.

I love summer runs as much as the next guy, but I’m not really a rob Paul to give to Peter kind of guy. There is no reason the state can’t fund robust hatchery plants on most of these river for both summer and winter steelhead. If they switch to summer run priority for hatchery fish (which would fly in the face of the ocean condition argument), will it be 1.6-1.8 million fish on the coast? That’s the steelhead smolt plant numbers. Those fish go back to the same ocean, according to WDFW staff, the same area and depths.

My question is…with a very impressive run of summer steelhead back to the grays harbor hatchery summer fisheries…why not expect the same for the winter returns? They lived in the same ocean and face the same conditions in the river as smolts…they have similar sports pressure (when you consider that the hatchery rivers in question on plant 65,000ish fish and less anglers total fish for them but the angler to fish is pretty close to the same).

I’d venture to say the food source is stronger on the satsop…why no summer runs there? Why the Wynoochee? I’ve never had anyone explain to me why a damned up river with from I’ve seen…far less favorable smolt condition, habitat and food…got priority.

My point is…just getting rid of winter run hatchery fish and replacing them with summer fish will likely face the same uphill battle with special interest groups, ocean conditions and the tribe won’t miss an opportunity for 50/50. 30 years from now they’ll change back to winter run…and around and around we go.

I think they just flung some random darts at the coast and whatever river it hit got summer runs. In grays harbor, they hit the humptulips and Wynoochee. The satsop is probably the best option for summers, no dams, better habitat, great access from the bank and boat. Its flip flopped…the summer fishery would be better on the satsop by far.

Oh well. I’m glad I got to get in on the steelhead fishing for what, in the grand scheme of things was a short time. I’ll be able to show my kids and certainly my grandkids someday of some really cool fish. Then I’ll take them out and catch triploids and bass.