EDITED:

Time to discuss ways to improve the BB demeanor. Give us your feedback on this important subject. Thanks. [Edited - to cut down on repitious stuff - RT]. smile

While this is a serious subject, I think there is always a place for humor here and everywhere. But in this thread and others, if any humor is not obviously so, please indicate so by typing a "jk" (just kidding) after it. ... I will start with a few of my suggestions - 'suggested goals', NOT a call for more rules.

- First, think out what you are going to post, and keep it civil and respectful if at all possible, before clicking on the post icon! These factors are particularly significant for heated issue debates. Suggestions?

- When disagreements become strong and can result in insults and improper arguing techniques, let's start using e-mails between the guys in each other's face to settle things privately. Other suggestions?

- I think it's OK and fun to tease and poke a little fun at people. The important thing is not to creep over the line into subtle or outright improper dissing of people. Most of you know about where that line is, and all of us need to adhere to this guideline to help keep things fun and peaceful.

- We need proper and consistent smilie graemlin usage! Use them for clarification if there could be doubt about the intent of any sentence or post. Conversely, don't use these things to decieve and deflect improper post responsibility - so as to cover your arse when you are actally trying to dis someone.

- I would like to address humor. When it's not obvious, put a 'jk' after it so people know you are kidding; it can prevent offending people, which can escalate into negative posts. ... I also think most of you know many of us guys like to post what I call "boat talk"; which includes some 'off color' jokes of a sexual or other sensitive nature. Most all of what I've seen here and on other BBs I would consider acceptable among what is a majority of adults 18 and over - even with members a little younger than that who often hear less benign stuff at school or on TV. ... Also, sensitive members have the option of not clicking on subjects that are offensive to them! Censure does not change the mindset of the world. Nor does reasonably benign adult humor. However,
this should not be allowed to escalate into raunchy X-rated type of stuff either. Keep reasonable. Opinions of this factor?

- Concerning fishing reports, I agree that keeping less known zipper rivers out of public posts that many fishermen read is a wise and proper thing to do. The old adage of 'tell them how but not where' applies to these few precious places that should be left to be discovered by the individual. But is doesn't apply to better known rivers, or areas that get pressure anyway. There are still many more fishermen that don't read the fishing websites than do read them - so I don't think posting reports affects additional pressure as much as some claim it does. And it is a definite value to be shared. Feedback?

- For those not adept at typing, which include a lot of us, please take a short moment to re-read your message to make spelling and sentence corrections before clicking on the post icon. Not a big deal; it doesn't have to be prefect - but this simple quick task will make the BB more readable and enjoyable for all.

- Try to reduce the size of pictures you post. This not only reduces download time for everyone, it saves using too much site storage space. Otherwise pics enhance fishing websites. Most of us love to see fish and outdoor scenery!

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYY wink ... EDIT NOTICE: Here's the seeming early consensus that has emerged below - for those who haven't read it all yet, but may not have enough time to - "many of us may need to be a little less sensitive and reactive, in addition to others needing to be more civil in heated threads. I think those 2 factors are at the core of the solution, and the balance we are looking for via this discussion!" ...

..... There may be other issues needing discussion and improvement. If you think of things where adjustments will enhance this site, please post them here. Thanks people. Fish on and post onward. smile

Steve

[ 12-26-2001: Message edited by: RT ]