RT, you're stepping up to a noble effort, but I respectfully suggest that it is destined to fail, and indeed, to have the opposite effect to what you intend. I know that you want to make this a fun place for all of us, hopefully while keeping the civility index a little higher than it sometimes is.

I agree with your thought about think before you post. That's simply a good rule for life, and I hope it will grow. But I wouldn't want someone to hold back on a sincerely held thought, simply because someone might take offense.

What makes forums fun for me is precisely the spontaneity and occasional rough edges. Over time, most people learn that the post might not mean what it did the first time through, and to take everything with a grain of salt.

If someone makes a mistake, or gets controversial, the subsequent discussions are where really good information gets exchanged.

If we are to take all of your suggestions thoroughly to heart, I think the result would be pretty sterile. For example, watching what you say so as to not hurt people's feelings? I know a contributor to a regional sportfishing mag that practically bursts into tears whenever anyone suggests that the mag is of less than Pulitzer prize winning caliber. ;-) Well, I'm sorry, but I don't think that's a fair reason not to debate the quality of STS. What if I get offended when someone discusses catch and release? Shall we avoid discussion of this topic? How about the use of bait? Where shall we draw the line? Whose feelings get to be respected? Just the longtimers? What about new folks? What about lurkers? What about *****? If you go down the path too far, eventually you end up with a ladies tea party where nothing happens, and no-one comes.

I, for one, prefer the rougher, no holds barred approach of the open net. A couple of good, creative name calling contests once in a while merely adds to the flavor, and makes it worth checking in. One can choose whether to respond as one wishes, and mature adults will usually hold back.

And if someone's feelings get hurt, well, there's a lesson there. How can anyone really hurt you with words through a computer screen?

I think the appropriate metaphor should be conversation. In conversation by the riverside, we choose what to say, how to say it, and decide as people whether we want to talk about our secrets. If someone gets too wierd, people turn away, and that piece of conversation dies. Noone worries too much about their grammar, and once in awhile a bad word creeps in. Is this bad?

As for worrying about spelling, well, I kan't get too worried about that. Seems to me like worrying about doilies on the dash of a jet sled. Unimportant, and gets in the way of the main task, which is communication. Did my use of the 'k' impede your understanding of the first sentence above?

This all said, Merry Christmas to everyone, and hope you all got a nice Loomis toy in your stocking.