Yeah, I agree with that, that was my statement in one of my posts before. I also have to have some excellent excuse if they are under contract, something that says they breeched which gives me ground to dismiss them. The punishment for letting go of someone under contract is usually to pay the remainder of the terms of the contract if I am at fault. The restitution sought for dicriminatory lawsuits can be (but not always) loss of wages until retirement, which is why some of these cases get into the millions. Plus hardship, etc..

What I am saying is that a regular ole employee John Q can be fired at any time, I may pay a price to unemployment if he show it was unwarranted or a lawsuit if says it was discrimination. But I can still fire them if I please. No law against that.

Having a backed policy against discrimination is documented proof that my business does not tolerate under any circumstances the act of discrimination. So if an employee wanted to sue me for that, they woould have a very difficult time proving that was the case in court. Basically all the would be able to prove was that I had another employeee that said something stupid and I was unaware.