i really should give up arguing on the internet. i end up looking like a total idiot, because i wander from my points.

my take on this all is one of stone-cold conservation. no fuzzy feelings, no morality or anything. i haven't fished for natives in over 10 years. i've caught them incidentally, but generally not on purpose, as i like to eat what i catch. obviously i put my effort toward hatchery fish.

the thing that irritates me is the mentality that it's just fine to CNR natives all day and accept say, a 5% mortality rate, but kill one intentionally and it becomes morally reprehensible, akin to whacking one of your fellow fishermen over the head. it'd seem more appropriate to either stop fishing(supporting the belief that it's a sin to risk kill any wild fish), or accept that others would like to bring one home.

it's a slippery slope, of course releasing fish has more of a potential for positive impact than killing them, but not fishing at all has more of a positive impact than risking mortality, right?

my other issue is with the permanant regulations many propose. steelhead are like any other fish in the regard to harvest and conservation. enough fish that harvest won't hurt the run? fine, open the season and allow harvest. not enough fish to meet spawning requirements? shut it down. simple as that.