Originally Posted By: Slab Happy
No offense, but......"Why, Vince....Why?

Same reason hunters zero in there rifles prior to hunting. Same reason guys spend hours playing around with different custom powder loads and measuring the difference of an inch at a 100 yards. Same reason that bowhunters can tell you the total weight of their arrow shaft and broadhead within the tolerance of a duck fart. Same reason that guys pattern their shotguns. To squeeze out every single extra bit of efficiency in order to increase success.

A day of salmon fishing can have direct costs of anywhere from $40 on the low end, to easily over $200 per day if your running a boat. If one considers opportunity costs, i.e. the chance to work overtime, a day just bank fishing can costs hundreds. If I'm throwing that kind of money around, I want to know that the terminal gear I'm using is reliable in quantifiable terms.

Not many other sports tolerate such huge variances in what the equipment manufacturers state in the marketing, and what is the truth. Imagine if they sold milk like they sell hooks and line. You could be getting anywhere from 2/3 a gallon, or 1 1/3 gallons in the jug marked 1 gal. Or it could be whole milk, 2%, or nonfat milk. You know how pissed I'd be to pay money for 2/3 gallon of nonfat milk? As pissed as I'd been if I had bought those vision siwash hooks.