Quote: Gone Fission
"Are we not angered by the kill of this unique fish most of all because we'd like the opportunity to catch one ourselves (or for our children)? If the answer to that is yes, then our motives are selfish as well--albeit much less so--but certianly not beyond reproach. Unless you're one of those that is most angered because fish are meant to swim entirely unmolested in rivers (translte to PETA), you're guilty of exploiting the resource--I know I am."

That is exactly why everyone here is so pissed off. Every single time one of those fish is removed from the gene pool it is that much more unlikely that anyone else will get a chance to catch one. While I am pretty pissed about it I try to withhold my comments toward the individual. I have never caught one that size. I may never catch one even close to that size. But I would sure like to know that the oppurtunity is still there. When I first arrived on the peninsula, I arrived with high hopes about making a story of my own about hooking into one of the world renowned hog steelhead. I honestly can say I am hugely disappointed. I put in as much time as my job and family allow me. But for a place that is praised as having some of the worlds best fishing for steelhead and salmon, I think the mark was missed. With that said, as long as there is retention allowed while the numbers are dwindling, we jeopardize our chances of passing along the oppurtunity to our kids and other future anglers. And that is why the practice should be so heavily attacked. If for no other reason than the next guy that hooks one might think about it a little harder before he banks the next trophy.

Don't sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.

Boise State- National title, here we come!