THANK YOU BARBLESS!! for saying what needs to be said.
there IS coming a time and it will be soon that the cylces of life interconnected in the environment around us are going to come un-hinged...then we are truely screwed. "harvesting" fish of this nature is just insane, especially some of our friends that love to take clients in and love to kill those fish(which is a whole other breed for a whole other topic), but with current technologies and the info of fish runs all over our papers and mags, it is coming to the time where the old excuse of "i didnt know" is just unnacceptable. you CANNOT be a fishermen, hunter, or any outdoor user nowadays and not be looking to the scientific facts surrounding your sport, your life, your local watershed. The whole fact that your even allowed to kill that fish is the point. fish and wildlife seems to say that they are there to "manage the PEOPLE utilizing the resource, not the actual resource itself"....after the last 20 years,hmmm, anyone want to punch a whole in that theory? What one of us wouldnt give up the right to fish the OP rivers if we could have management backed by sound science and that has their eyes on the right prize!(ohh, but what IS the right prize?)... that is really the question...what kind of sportsman do you consider yourself in an honest fashion.
This guy has no excuse...oh, he's from across the pond...SO f-ing WHAT!! their waterways have been decimated to the point of total kill, or a pay to play opportunity. he knows of their fisheries obviously, and if he learned how to catch one over here odds are that he did enough research to understand the fishery a bit. this guy just made a very dumb mistake, i hope he regrets it. i dont wish any harm to the man either but damn if i wouldnt like to talk to him for a bit... or maybe show him a couple power point presentations. slap

as for bankwalker,sabi, and all the other critics out there saying its okay, or that we are being to hard on him:
to quote C Herb Williams
"We have many hunter and fishermen, but a relative few carry the load for all the rest in the interest of conservation and wise use of the resources. They prod lethargic legislatures and shake up an uncaring public. They dont hesitate to criticize fish and game depts. if they feel the critisism if just and deserved.
Often these men and women from all walks of life will meet over a weekend during some of the best fishing and hunting of the year, giving up their own sport of the moment for the long-range goal of good resource management.
For most of this century, these organized sporstmen have been the only private citizens working for the conservation. They have been joined by others recently, but they carried the load alone for more than half a century."

Where has the reverence for these fish gone? But then again, was it ever really there?