There are very few people that can consistently shoot sub-MOA at 1k from a bench rest due to the cited variables of wind, mirage and a host of others. That number drops precipitously when actual field conditions are introduced, and the shooter lacks either the requisite tools or number of popped-primers to tilt the odds in his/her favor.

Over the past 4 decades, all of my deer/elk have been tipped over with one shot. Usually at close quarters. Like Sal, I've let a goodly number of 'em walk rather than risk a bad poke. An elk is a regal beast. They and their kin have taught me much over the course of my time afield in various pursuits. Accordingly, I don't use them for target practice at any distance. It does pain me when I have discovered wounded elk that require me to take responsibility for someone else's ineptitude. Perhaps Coley G's sig-line quote from Lani Waller regarding steelhead is appropriate for hunting as well, "I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." That, melded with a modicum of self-respect, may be helpful in discerning when it is appropriate to either release an arrow or trip a trigger with bad intent....

The beauty of this public forum is that there is immediate access to a host of information, opinions, with some entertaining tussles tossed in, regarding our collective interest in outdoor pursuits. Similar to my silent instructors of the forest, I have learned much from many of you, including one paradoxical internet forum recidivist. It is incumbent upon me to discern the wheat from the chaff as to a chosen path forward. All else is moot.

That said, enjoy your father's rifle Parker, and twisting target turrets. As one hunter to another, I look forward to your continued growth and success afield....