Originally Posted By: chrome/22
+1, go get em Parker.

I'm trying.

Was always a bird hunter and never a big game hunter. Oh sure, I've done my share of "Armed Nature Hikes", but that sums it up right there.

I'm listening to many and using my own best judgement calls on who's Cool-aid to digest and so forth. Stick's presented a good case as to what tool to use and why.

No, I don't hunt Sitka Black tails. Never hunted any black tail, for that matter. Only hunted white tails, muley's and elk. I've never taken a shot past 200 yards and probably never will. But, that doesn't mean I shouldn't have the necessary tools to do so, if the perfect opportunity arises in the field. I've got a range finder and good glass that almost never leaves my eyes. I like to know ranges when looking about, even if I never do shoot past 200. My goal is to be able to sight out 0-500 yards on an object without a range finder. Tougher than you think.

I'm probably one of the "over safest" hunters in the field and have passed up good shots due to concern of where the bullet might go, etc. If I'm not 100% certain on a bullet path (past the animal), or 100% confident in the range and shot, I won't take it.

I've shot enough long-guns to know that Sal speaks the truth about windage and long shots. For that reason, why I might have the capability to shoot out to 500 yards, I honestly don't ever see that happening....unless all the stars align and it's an ideal shot.

More of than not, I kinda prefer to shoot open sights to 200 yards. I'm WAY better with open sights then with an optic.

I've got nothing to prove to anyone, got nothing to show to anyone, and don't give a rats [Bleeeeep!] (unlike fishing. wink ). I don't use a guide to hunt, don't plan on using a guide to hunt, and like I did with fishing BEFORE I got this wonderful reputation here on the board, I'm going to learn to hunt the old fashioned and *hard* way.....experience, time in the field, and learning from my mistakes.

The really crappy thing is that I should have started this when I was a kid. Starting to hunt at 40+ makes things a bit challenging.

PS. It's my grandfather's rifle - I used to go on his hunts with him. My Dad couldn't find his own boot to piss in, let alone "hunt" anything. The love of the outdoors and fishing came from good old grandpa.

I just hope that I can acquire enough large game hunting skills and knowledge to pass down to my kids in the not-so-distant future. That's the real gem of hunting for me.....

Only real bummer now is that hunting season interfere's with the Canadia steelhead season. D'oh!!!!!