I was born and raised in the high country of CO and when hunting at 10,000 - every last ounce counts. The Kimber Ascent is beyond light (almost too light). The muzzle brake is removable and comes with a collar to protect the threads when not in use. Kimbers have the best, non-custom triggers on the market today. They are ridiculously crisp, break easily and have zero creep. Montana's are the same rifle only they haven't been fluted to reduce weight (5 oz difference). But you'll save a lot of money going with the Montana if 5 oz are not that important to you. FYI - TIkka T3, Weatherby Vanguards I and II's are plastic composite stocks, while Kimbers, Noslers and SAKO are a beaded Kevlar or fiber re-enforced blend. You get what you pay for. FYI - the Weatherby Vanguard II is probably the best low priced rifle on the market today. Of course, all of that changes when you move back to wood.

.280's are just flat awesome. They have way better ballistics than the .270 (regular or WSM) and they are tack drivers. In fact, .280's probably have the best all around ballistics when all factors are considered. I'm much more comfortable shooting at a bull with a .280 than I am a .270. The rounds are cheaper than the .270 WSM and selection is just about the same. Both can be harder to find than something like a 06 or .300 winny. Stick with Nosler partitions or Barnes X and anything you shoot at will drop.

If I were you, I would seriously look at either the Weatherby Vanguard II or Kimber Montana (or the Nosler) based on what you can afford in a .280 or 30-06.

Hope this help and hope you find the right gun for YOU. Let us know what you end up with and how it shoots for you. best of luck,

Edit: didn't see that you already have an 06. Get the .280!!!!

Edited by NickD90 (02/14/13 01:01 AM)