The .280 rounds generally have better pricing over .270 wsm (on par with standard .270 rounds). The ballistics are also better than the .270 regular (or WSM) or the 30-06 (velocity and ft.lbs). Its an ultra, ultra flat shooter - proably the flatest there is or that I have any knowledge on. It doesn't kick like a .300, so its a very attractive middle ground between the above calibers. I took my largest bull (6x6) with a .280 Remington

Wait until you shoot a Kimber Montana, you'll never want another sub .300 rifle. I've fired the .243, .270, .280 and .300. I've never fired the Kimber Ascent which is even lighter. I've heard that the 30-06 Ascent kicks like a .300 winny which is why they incorporated the muzzle break. I am a thin guy and don't pack a lot of meat on my shoulders. The Montana .300 was fun for about 5 rounds and then I wanted to put it down. If I ever buy a .300, it will be a heavier wood stocked rifle to help eat up some the recoil. If you can't practice on a gun without getting overly flinchy, its hard to shoot it well in the field. I would not want to fire the .338 Montana. No thanks.