I understand that the WDFW doesn't even keep detailed statistics of the kind you want, which is kind of startling. But the WDFW has issued hundreds of HPAs for exceptions to the windows specified in the Gold and Fish pamphlet, and those projects are not monitored for compliance with the rules. Those are facts provided to Representative Tarleton's office by the WDFW. (I apologize for not putting that information in bold capital letters in my initial post. Did you think I dreamed up what I've said here to drive some sinister "agenda"?)

My only purpose in supporting this bill is to help protect endangered runs of wild salmon and steelhead so that fishermen can fish for them, if not now then someday. Washington's regulation of an activity, suction-dredge mining, has very few restrictions on what miners can do, and what they do can harm our streams with ESA-listed fish. And it is another fact that other western states have acted to tighten restrictions on dredging, an activity conducted on public lands for no public benefit, while fishermen in Washington suffer from more and more restrictions on their ability to fish for salmon and steelhead. (No, I'm not going to do your homework assignment and write a fact-filled background paper for your perusal.)

By the way, you've made it a point to say that you are a proud non-lemming. It sounds like you don't value any experience but your own. It would be just awful to learn anything from the example of other states that have acted to rein in suction dredging: after all, everything we need to know we can learn ourselves, right?

Edited by smelt (01/26/14 06:39 PM)