'69 is absolutely right. You can do just about anything with a flyrod that you can with other gear. I have a spool filled with 15# mono that I use on my downrigger in the salt. I use a tube-fly tied with dyed polar-bear that is incredibly effective for salmon(kings/cohos). And what a thrill to play the fish on the flyrod once it comes off the downrigger. Kind of like the Canadian mooching rig(which I also use). And yes, one of the most effective ways to "nymph" for steelhead is with an indicator and weighted fly or egg pattern(kind of like the single pin rigs also seen in Canada).
Just to correct, the Hoko is fly-only above the upper bridge, below is free to all. Personally I like fly only water, as it gives me more water to fish, but of course, that is selfish ;\)
Here is a question for those who do both gear and fly. How do you see fishing ettiquette compare between fly and gear fishermen? What is the basic difference in personality between fly and gear fishermen? I have friends that fish both ways, and often go fish with them while they fish gear. As long as we give each other some room, it's all good.