Yes,
Wolves do have an impact on the deer and elk populations, They also have an impact on the mouse, squirrel, and rat populations, that is when there is enough of a population to warrant the energy they use to go after the prey.
Lets face it Wolves have been a part of the ecosystem long before we or our parents or grand parents or great grandparents were born.
When people started ranching and raising cattle, Horses, ect, This was like a free meal to the predators.
To this day it still is, and that is why the ranchers and the government, over time basically eradicated the wolf population.
Ever hear of anyone seeing a Cascade mountain wolf?
Used to be a local wolf that is now extinct in Washington.
Although an old hunter I know swears he saw one in the 1960's.
I do believe that wolves as well as coyotes are oppertunistic hunters and they will take down any animal they can if there is an opportunity to do so even if they are not hungry.
Think about your average well fed house cat who still chases mice and birds and drops them at your feet but does not eat them.
Personally I think it would add to my hunting and outdoor experience to hear the howl of wolves nearby once again in this state.
Ramprat