It's that time of year again. Short days and long cold nights means too many hours spent looking for entertainment inside doors, otherwise known as tying season

I've had some fun projects so far this winter twisting up some stuff for friends taking warm water trips.

Lots of boner fish. Mainly the usual Crazy Charlie varieties but with a few new twists and, uh, turds thrown in. The first few batches of twenty some dozen so far this winter.

Moanna's Chili Pepper

Moose Turd

George Bush

I took a stab at knocking off a few of Kelly Galloup's articulated streamers. He's got some pretty badass stuff and I really like his big bug philosophy for trout. Check out his online fly shop and patterns if you haven't already.

A few Boogie Man variants. I didn't have any white deer hair for the heads and instead had to use bucktail. Less than ideal.

A a twist on the Sex Dungeon with a little more sculpin flavor for locale.

Fry patterns rock in the spring in these parts and here are a few quick and dirty versions that have treated me well.

Simple marabou fry. Been digging the UV fly finish, thanks Stonefish. Talk about quick and easy!

DNA fry

Ugly version of a wiggle tail fry...ugly but deadly.

And finally, just to throw a little bit of sacrilege into what could otherwise be a fairly civilized fly fishing discussion, the EZ Thread Yarn Ball factory has been cranking as of late. Must be steelhead season in the PNW?

(pardon the card, sometimes yarnie photos show up elsewhere without permission)

Anyone else dusting off the bobbins to lash feather and fur to hook as of late?

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."