Flea, you're correct. We need a very strong campaign to bring out the truth, and change public perception that the Tribes are 'Champion's of Conservation". And that EVERYTHING they do is about preserving the fish! A DEAD Native Steelhead in a gill net in the Nisqually has noting to do with conservation!!

But, there is another very important outcome of this that the State will now have address. It is something that Salmo g spoke of:

Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
WDFW cannot count on the tribes' sharing the same interests as the state. And when the tribes walk out, everything falls in favor of the tribes and against the state. I'm shocked and dismayed that the state would even try a repeat performance. Last year was proof positive that WDFW needs to secure its own independent ESA section 10 permit from NMFS for the simple and obvious reason that agreement is not guaranteed. NMFS might not like having to deal with two separate permits, but life ain't perfect, and they need to recognize and understand that the state has legitimate fisheries interests just as the treaty tribes do, and the federal authority has to walk the tightrope. Deal with it.

The Asst. Director that replied to my letter, and I understand that Unsworth's letter to THFWA, both admitted that WDFW is held hostage and unduly influenced by the Tribes ability to force concessions under threat of walking out of negotiations.

The State will have to address that, since it is the only objection the State has to fall back on. ("The Tribes will walk out if we pursue having the public in attendance at these meetings...")

1Sgt U.S. Army (Ret)