I spent 30 years working for a Commission run agency. I was consulted in 1994 about the Initiative to set up the Commission here and was supportive of it based on my experience.

One of the key differences between WDFW and my old agency is in the Commission selection process and trying to make sure politics is as removed as possible. My old agency was a subset of a larger Department. While the Governor was tasked, with the concurrence of the Senate, to select Commissioners the Commissioners were under the supervision of the Executive Director of the Department.

A key component, I think, in the selection process is posted below:

(c) Of the voting members appointed to the commission, there shall not be a difference of more than one person between those members affiliated with any major political party

When the office of Governor changes parties, then the make-up of the Commission swaps over with any new appointments.

I don't want to see the Commission dissolved. They are our best hope for the long term. I don't want to see WDFW absorbed into another agency and have to depend on an elected individual to oversee WDFW operations.

What I would like to see, for a start, is a full-on review of the WDFW structure, a clear outline of roles and responsibilities starting with the Director and going on down the chain available for public review. With that in place, then the Commission can provide the direction needed, operating through the Director, to establish a clear and streamlined chain of command.