Thanks Salmo and everyone else for the good advice.

I got all the supplies, coop and run from my neighbor that was forced to get outta the chicken business (something about felonies and pervert lists - I didn't ask too many questions). The coop is a very nice and very secure 8' x 8' x 8' backyard shed with power, lights, heaters, full floor, security and the whole shebang. I built a full 4"x6" pressure treated lumber base to rest it on. It's been dug out a foot deep all around the base and I've lined it with miles of chickenwire underneath to prevent critters from trying to dig under. A grizzly bear couldn't break into this thing.

I have some work to do on the run itself. Also dig down and line with chx wire all around and then poultry netting across the top. The location in my yard may lend itself to predators coming in from the field behind my house, but the system I'm putting in should be pretty tough to defeat. I can always set up an automatic .50 cal machine gun nest to patrol for critters. I might take out a neighbor or two, but hey....fresh eggs.

We'll see how this whole thing works out. I almost bought some ducks, geese and turkeys too, but that would just be dumb at this point. I'm trying very hard to not be dumb these days. Somedays are better than others, but as you can see, I still have a very long way to go.