Bruce,

What Todd is saying and is in the WSC draft hatchery policy is that we will evaluate each hatchery program and make an opinion on if the program is in line with the WSC charter. Does that mean we may come out against some hatchery programs. Maybe. Does it mean we might come out for some maybe. But we can't shut anything down the state is the the only one.

Here is an example of where I feel we might come out against a hatchery program. You have river that has a wild run but no hatchery facility or collection method for hatchery plants. I think we would probably oppose that.

One where I think we might give a positive recommendation would be one where the hatchery fish have limited interaction with the wild fish and there is a collection facilty and the means to keep them off the spawning beds of the wild fish.

There are no absolutes when it comes to hatcheries right now. Each one has to be looked at individually. If they hurt the wild fish we will be against it. If they aren't harming a the wild fish why would we oppose it.

JJ