So you're gonna strap one on, huh? (I mean a handgun. wink )

Few questions for you.

Do you have a CCP?
How much do you want to spend?
What else will it be used for?
Are you taking training?

I'd stay away from the .22's. They are small and cute, got a little Taurus for the wife, but pretty ineffective. If you have one, well, at least you have something.

The .32's and .380's are also on the ineffective side, but can mitigated by loading Corbon or other specialty rounds in the magazine.

.38 special, .380 acp, all 9mm's, and the .357 are all essentially .35 caliber handguns. They shoot bullets that range from .355 to .357 in diameter.

Ruger makes a nice KSP101 in .357 mag that is small, 5 shots, and will stand up to the abuse as an outdoor carry gun. It is stainless steel with rubber/zytel grips, and somewhat inexpensive.

I carry an Hechler & Koch USP Compact in .40 S&W, about $600, and add another $200 for a second caliber barrel, .357 Sig. With hot Corbon 135 grain loads, I can get almost to the power level of a .357 mag, but I have 12 shots instead of 5 or 6. The gun has a finish that resists the elements and I can carry it wearing shorts and a t-shirt and nobody can tell. I also cary a 5 shot .44 special on occassion, but the cylinder makes it less concealable.

Head down to Butch's, Wade's or other reputable gunstore so that you can see the selection and price range. Let them know what you'll be using it for, and start with a 9mm and move up from there. There are plenty of compact full power guns out there that don't require you to spend a fortune, just stay away from the Jennings or other cheap guns. Taurus, Ruger, and a few others make quality firearms for less than $300.

Get enrolled in a training class so you'll know what to do, and remember that your pistol is AN ABSOLUTE LAST RESORT in any situation.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.