I carry a Beretta Mini-Cougar ( no pun intended) in .45acp, depending on why I am carrying it I shoot 165gr. Federal Hydra-Shok for two leggers and kittys, thin skin not much penetration needed. If I'm concerned about bears I carry a Ruger Blackhawk in .41 Rem mag with 210gr handloads. I don't think an auto is ideal for an outdoorsman to carry unless you are religious about cleaning it. A revolver can be loaded and forgoten for 20 yrs and will probably still fire even with all the dust and dirt it will accumulate when carried through the woods and bush.If cougars are your thing I would feel fairly comfortable carrying an auto in at least 9mm.For bears I would'nt like to carry my .45 as a first chioice even with 230gr loads,not enough oomph for me, I'd stick with at least a .357 mag with hot 158gr loads, but a .41 or .44 would be a better choice in my eyes.Just make sure you practice,practice ,practice you need to be very familiar with whatever you choose. I don't think I own a gun that I couldn't field strip with my eyes closed, lotsa shooting= lotsa cleaning!

- no boss, no clock, no stress, no dress code...no shoes,no shirts, no problems. - Kenny Chesney -