Unless you are very inexperienced with auto-loaders stay away from them. Especially the compacts. They recoil very differently than the full size versons. Start out with a used S&W mod #15 in a 2 r 4" barrel. Take the stock grips off and replace them with either Pachmeyers or Hogue mono-grips. And load it with with 158 gr Winchester Silvertips(or Winchester Black Talons which can be picked up at shows for a considerable price). Be careful of those Corbons unless your have alot of experience. They are very hot and they can be hell on a frame if used a lot, regardless of the manufacture. You can also go with a S&W mod #19 in a 4" which is a .357mag. These two weapons will handle just about everything you will come up against except maybe a bear. The .357 mag has more confirmed one shot stops then any other commonly carried caliber cartridge. Either way, as stated above, PRACTICE PRACTICE, PRACTICE!!!! Practice not only shooting but drawing the weapon(empty of course). Practice drawing the weapon from a carry condition a minimum of 3,000 times before you actually carry it loaded. I cannot stress that enough. And know the law! When I had my CCP I carried a S&W mod 19 .357 mag, S&W 4506 .45 ACP, Beretta 92F(w/ported barrler)9mm, Glock 21 .45ACP, and a Glock 22 40S&W. I carried Winchester Black Talons in all of them. Sigs and H&K's are nice guns for sure but there are guns out there that are just as high quality at a cheaper price. Don't buy a gun on looks. Go to a range where you can rent guns and try different ones until you find a gun that feels right, you can handle, meets your needs, and meets your budget. And go into it with the understanding that if you ever have to drop the hammer on someone you will most likely kill them. Ask yourself if you are prepared to do that. Can you live with that? If not then don't do it. Sorry for the long post but as you can see there is more to carrying then buying a gun and "strapping" it on. Carrying a handgun is not a game. It is serious business and carries serious responsibilities.

Good luck.
Chumcatcher