Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
I fish. I think I'm fishing for steelhead. At least that is my intention. I've fished 5 days this winter. In that time I've had what felt like one not quite solid grab. Hence, I think I'm fishing for steelhead. I used to catch steelhead when I fished for them, although not every single day. Just last week I chanced upon a picture of a younger me holding a really nice steelhead. So I'm sure they exist. Well, I'm sure they used to exist. Hanker suggests that they still do. Apparently I chose to fish the wrong river, even though it felt, and fished, so right. Except for the hookup part. They just aren't there.

I fish and always will as I am a fisherman. However, I haven't river fished for Steelhead lately and my total days on the water, both fresh and salt have gone down substantially over the past couple of years . That is not a decision I willingly made for myself. It's a decision that state has made for me.

It's 4 - 5 hours drive each way to the open rivers. I have work, obligations and limited funds on occasion. Things need to be planned, but how do you plan around blown out rivers and no fish? It's not so easy as to drop everything you are doing, drive 10 total hours to fish 8 hours when the rivers happen to be in shape and these "supposed" fish are "in". I specifically moved to where I live now a decade ago, so I could be 30 mins from my "home" rivers (Sky, Snoho, Snoqual, Pilchuck, Stilly et al.). There isn't much use for my professional skill set in Forks - otherwise I'd live out there.

I didn't close on the river. The river closed on me.