Originally Posted By: snit
Thanks, Stonefish-he was a dandy for sure! BTW, I'm looking at (2) cards of Sammy's on my curio shelf! One full and one-half full, same color as you described.

That is cool you have some cards of Sammy Specials. I like looking back at all the old gear that worked and still would work.

A bit about my first steelhead I mentioned earlier.
My dad never fished rivers. he was a saltwater guy. I told him I wanted to catch a steelhead, so he read a few things and off we went to the Puyallup on cold December day. I was 8 at the time, so 1968.
We were fishing just upstream of Anton's.
My dad told me to let my pencil lead tap along the bottom and if it stopped to set the hook.
About half way through the day, my line stopped and I set the hook. A nice size steelhead came flying out of the water. I told my brother who was fishing just upstream of me that I had a steelhead on, but he jokingly laughed and said i was snagged on the bottom. The fish jumped again and that convinced him to run upstream and get my dad who had a net with him.
My dad never did use the net as I just kept reeling and backing up until I drug it up on the back. By the time the fish was on the shore, I was nearly in the woods.
I got some back slaps and congrats from some of the old timers fishing there. I was pretty proud of the fish which was about 8 lbs. I think I petted the scales off of it by the end of the day, lol.

On the way home we stopped by my uncles little grocery store, which was across from Sparks field. He was an avid steelhead fisherman and took some pictures of me and the fish. They are somewhere at my house but I haven't seen them in years.
SF