Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
It's true, some clarity in the water does increase my confidence. But I'm amazed at how well fish see in turbid water. I've caught them with only 10" visibility at times. I figured out a few years ago that the main reason I prefer 3 or 4' of clarity is because it's so much easier wading when I can see where I'm putting my feet. Doing the Braille shuffle over and between the stones makes for a laborious day of stream wading. All that said, the best fish of the day came downriver where the water lost a foot or more of visibility than where we began. If I ever figure out this steelhead game, I'll be sure to write a book.

Another thing I learned when I fished lots more. In winter conditions, high turbid water, was to "short line". I fished w/ a fly rod and reel w/ mono, eggs or shrimp for bait. With only 4-8" water visibility, would work a gravel bar top to bottom, w/ only 10-15' line out of the reel, fixed. Didn't need a strip basket w/ such little line to work with. Cast, 2 steps, cast, 2 steps, etc. caught lots of fish when everyone else thought the river was out, sometimes in a foot of water. Fish would be laying in close. Transitioned that philosophy to the swing with little success so far. Wish I was swinging a fly back then, with lots more fish around. I would like to read your book.