Originally Posted By: FleaFlickr02
Originally Posted By: WDFW X 1 = 0
Originally Posted By: FleaFlickr02
All these memories are cool, and the old pics are awesome.

I grew up in Colorado and Texas, so I never fished for steelhead as a youngster, but I recall being fascinated every time I saw a picture of one in one of the old editions of Salmon/Trout/Steelheader the guy at our local "fly shop" (it was the sporting goods section at the local grocery store) gave me one day while I was chewing the fat with him.

In 1999, at age 25, single, and ready for something new, I decided to move to Olympia and get back into fly fishing, with the primary goal being catching my first steelhead. It took me over a year, but I finally scored on a HOT Kalama (hatchery) summer run of about 10 lbs. on a marabou spider. Since then, I've caught a bunch more, on all different types of gear, but they are getting fewer and farther between these days, partly because I don't fish as hard as I used to most days, but also because they're getting rare. That said, I thought I should break the mold a bit and remind everyone that, while we don't always get 'em these days, when we do, it's just as cool as ever. Keep fishin', people!

The Kalama fly water above the hatchery was amazing back in the day during the whole Teeny Nymph years.

My friend and I ended up meeting the daughter and heading down to their place to visit.

Cool!

I only wish I'd been fishing the fly-only water, which still looks great, but seems to be missing the key ingredient of fish since about 1990. I was fishing the tailout of the Beginner's Hole. Not as glamorous as a backdrop, but the fish was still a badass!

Even more memories.
Sight fishing schools of summer-runs.
I fished the light line tournament every year on the Kalama below the beginners.
My first noodle was a spiral wrapped Loomis Composite.
I believe the guy's name was Robert Reedy that ran the upper hatchery back then and he built it for me.
Caught hundreds of fish on that rod.