I must confess complete ignorance on this one. Tipping seems commonplace to some sectors of the service industry and unknown in others. I thought tips were common to mainly minimum wage service industry jobs like waitresses, the gal that cuts hair in a chain shop, and baggage handlers, and so forth.

I thought a fishing guide was like an independant businessman who sets his rates according to his costs and what the market will bear, much as a plumber, electrician, and the like. I didn't tip the carpenter who built my deck. It never occurred to me to do so. The plumber charges time and a half or double for after hours work, so a kind of a tip is built in. Do you folks tip these service workers?

Then there's the thing about the eggs. I don't fish with eggs, and I haven't hired a guide to fish in fresh water. When fishing the ocean, the guide/skipper provides herring or other bait for fishing. That bait is obtained through purchase, not from prior clients. It cracked me up to read that a guide would expect to keep the eggs from his client's catch. That seems rather cheeky to me and a sure way to discourage repeat business. If I used eggs, I would want to keep them along with the fish they came in. But I guess it's a case of whatever the market will bear.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.