Some things never change. Some of us don't understand why tipping is common in the fishing guide industry, and some of us think it's natural as can be. Some claim that guiding isn't a "service industry." I don't get that. By definition, it's a service industry because the product is a service, not a commodity. Or maybe like computer software, it's "intellectual property." (LOL)

Although I haven't ever hired a guide for freshwater fishing, I know a little about it because I did it in a lifetime long ago. A tip was nice, but I didn't understand it any better then than I do now. We set our own rates to cover the cost of our direct and indirect expenses and our perceived value for our time. It was very hard work, as we did multi-day float trips, setting up new camps every night, so work days were from 7 am to 10 or 11 pm. But if I had thought I wasn't being paid enough for my time or expenses, I would have charged more. Since we were fly fishing, nobody was interested in eggs.

That was my point in this thread last year. Guides are independent businessmen who set their own rates, just as the carpenter and plumber does who work on my house. I don't tip them because of their personality or the good jokes they tell. A key difference tho, is I don't spend the entire day with them, either.

I think it comes down to traditional practices that vary from one society to the next. Here we tip waiters and waitresses, haircutters, baggage handlers, taxi drivers, baristas and fishing guides. And apparently we don't tip carpenters, plumbers, grocery clerks, dentists, or investment bankers. Almost random?

Sincerely,

Salmo g.