I am not a guide but have gone on several guided trips...some good (fish or no fish) and some very very bad. Guided trips are in my opinion priced to what the market will bear. When I pay for a guided trip I do so fully recognizing this and also believe that for that particular day I have hired this guy/gal to give me my best shot at fish and to supply quality equipment...I tie my own leaders and knots...this is his/her job. As far as tipping goes I find it very hard to tip after a trip simply because I feel that the guide has made a very fair wage off of me that day. I certainly don't feel obligated to tip because the guide has a good personality or can tell good stories. I expect the former and appreciate the latter. If I tell some good stories or have a good personality do I get a discount? Without me he/she may have made nothing at all that day. I can understand why the guides and former guides like tips who wouldn't in their postition. I do agree somewhat with the postion that guiding is not really a service industry and tipping should not really be expected. In my book $30-40 per hour is a pretty fair wage. I fully expect a guide to work his arse off to put me into fish and if the day runs long and fishless so be it and after all I had to work my arse off to earn the money I am paying him/her.

As far as eggs go the roe stays with the boat....this applies even in my boat when I am taking friends out fishing as I explain to them how much bait we will be using. If they don't like it they can run flatfish all day! If at the end of the fishing we have made back the bait we used I am inclined to split the roe with someone who will use it....but I am not running a business either.