I think there are alot of funny instances here. I can tell who truly know how to flyfish and those who don't. If you're running a heavy sinktip or shooting head line with a leader, you're are so far from lining it's funny. Now, you talk about the guys who run floating lines with big SI's on 10' leaders with a heavily weighted fly. Then maybe, and that's an extreme maybe (depending on the person). But, most fly guys in most of our water conditions do a wetfly swing with some sort of sinktip with a short 3-4' leader on it. Similar to what most drift fisherman do, but lines are kept more in zone with belly in line (similar to a V formed with mainline of spin/cast rod to weight ticking bottom with leader going towards water surface with lure). With fly guys, you can tell them snagging/flossing just like bait/spin guys. Their motions are the same. But very narrow minded to group them (as MANY have done before). I've caught many fish running a fly rod, and have been strikes that have jolted my fly line like a strike on a standard rod. Set hook and "Fish on". It's the guys who set hook on every little move are guys who are in the "flossing" catagory.

I will say, I grew up fishing the Skok. I have taken TONS of fish legally with 20--30 guys fishing around me using red hooks with red yarn and sighting fish. BUT, one of the main reasons I stopped fishing there is because of same said guys. I could easily hook them legally, but trying to play fish while guys are casting over me made it hard to land the fish. I try to stick to rivers that don't pool fish up like some rivers. Probably one of the reasons I stay away from places like the Cow. I can still catch fish (when my body isn't injured) fishing not so stacked rivers as Cow/Skok, etc. Plus, I enjoy fishing, I like the peace involved with it. I always hated fishing down there, probably why my Dad would always fish the Toutle before the mountain blew, rarely ever went to the Cow.

But, I agree with Cowlitzfisherman. It would be hard to figure out who's flossing and who's not. I personally feel though, that a long leader is not needed unless you're running gin clear conditions. I've never had to use anything longer then 4' in most conditions. Heck, only time I've ever run leaders longer then 6' was fly fishing for trout. But was FAR from flossing. Running a 10'+leader/tippet on a floating line with a dry fly. Had to lengthen down to a very small tippet for weary trout. Now, fly guys running sinktips with leader/tippets longer then 4' I'd question. But maybe 90% I've seen have been well within those limits.

Northwest River Fisherman