Dan

So I take it that you are saying, or at lease insinuating, is that all WDFW Officers and State Trooper are lamebrains! (well may not all)

How else is someone going to interpret your statement; "Actually, you'd have to be a lamebrain NOT to understand that very SIMPLE to understand rule. There's NOTHING ambiguous about it."

As just one example; since you can regularly go to places such as the "Barrier Dam" and Blue Cr. etc., etc, and watch the local game warden or the local State Trooper who writes tickets almost daily for snagging just sitting there and watching the guys who are using those 8-12 foot leaders flossing/lining fish after fish and do nothing about it. So are they lamebrains for not writing everyone tickets? According to what you have said, the law is the law!

Why is it Dan, that they do nothing about it if as you say "it so SIMPLE"? If that rule was so "very simple" or it wasn't "ambiguous", why do you think that they are not enforcing it? We all known that WDFW and the counties all need the extra money . . . right?

Couldn't it just be that I may have been right, (oh no) and that they don't want to go to court and have the judge through their case right out of the court rooms, and look like fools at the same time. You tell me! Sounds like a no brainier to me!

That's a nother a good one too Dan! You said;" Did the fish bite your rig, or did you just stick your rig in it's mouth? It's not a real hard question to answer."

So you tell me the answer!

You're an experienced "free drifter" so why do you "think" that when you are free drifting from a boat that the "bite" feel so very much different then the "bite" that one feels when they are "drift fishing" from the bank, especially on winter run fish, when the water temps are really much cooler?

Haven't you ever wondered why, when free drifting from your boat, that the "bite" feels nothing like the bite when you are fishing off the bank? It has always been my experience (99% of the time anyway) that the "bite" is felt as a slow "pumping kind of motion" when free drifting. One could certainly form and/or make the opinion that you have dragged your bait into that fishes mouth while he was breathing and that the "tugging motion" is when the fish starts feeling the "line drag" and then starts to swim back to the spot upriver that it was being pulled from.

If you think that I am just blowing hot air about this one too, then please explain why any good free drifting guide is able to "see" his client's "bite" so well he can tell them when to "set the hook!" He can tell when his client is getting a bite just by watching their rod tips starting to do that famous free drifting "pumping" motion. Remember, Dan, I have over 10 years experience of watching client's to support what I have just stated! I also know that you will likely disagree, but that is nothing new either. Also, why do you think that the guides hook a large majority of the fish for their clients when free drifting? Why do you think that smaller baits and #4 hooks work so well when free drifting from a boat then from the bank most of the time?

You really got to ask yourself if you really want to be fair, are those fish really eating my bait all the time, or are some of them just getting lined when they open their mouths to breathe. By far, most of the fish that you catch when free drifting are almost always hooked in the corner of their mouths on the same side that you are drifting, and that makes the lining thing even more convincing.

Anyway, nothing to get mad about, so I am looking foreword to your reply!

Like most things, we all have different opinions and I am sure that your opinion will not always be the same as mind is, so take nothing personal about this debate about flossing/lining!!

Hey Glowball: It's a heck of a lot easier to debate the pro and cons of flossing/lining here on this board then to be setting in a court room trying to prove your point in front of a judge/jury. Flossing/lining, like it or not is going to be around for a long, long time, but I believe that a lot of good information/opinions has been exchanged about the subject.

Cowlitzfisherman

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook????