Well williametteriveroutlaw, your Dad is the exception. I have a ton of guide friends up in AK and have alot of friends who live up there as well (most of the guide friends only live up there during summer, but a few own lodges up there year around). Not ONE flosses sockeye (and yes, most do floss them and they admit it) with a sinktip line and a short leader. So not sure what your Dad is doing. If that's the case, EVERYONE who uses a standard driftgear with 2-4' leaders are all snaggers. Your sinktip wetfly swing is exactly like a gear guys driftfishing with standard sized leaders. EVERY fly guy I know who purposely flosses (there is only one guy who I've heard of who could get a sockeye in Alaska to bite, Enos Bradner, and he proved it could be done) uses a long leader, strike indicator, floating line, and weighted fly. Of course there are guys who flyfish that floss. Just like there are gear guys who floss. I fish both ways, mostly in gear situations. But funny thing is it's funny how many of the same guys who call fly fisherman "elitists" are usually the same who call them flossers as well. So far all I've met and know they're in the 90 percentile. Why do you think jigs are so effective? Do you think they are a new creation? Um, no, they are a modification of a very effective fly used for salmon and steelhead. Been used WELL before jigs were used up here. But, are jig guys flossers too? They are using the EXACT same methods the so called "fly flossers" are too. SI's, leaders and weighted fly/jig on end. Too many close minded people out there. If it's against their norm it's "not ethical". I've found this in the flyfishing arena and the gear arena. Everyone is pointing their fingers at the other saying "tsk tsk". Like I said, I would only consider it flossing depending on the water conditions. Usually more gin clear conditions calls for longer leaders for spooky fish with smaller lures. I'd only come close to saying it's flossing if there's very low visibility and tossing these super long leaders. But to each their own. I don't preach about it. But funny how many will preach to me. And I've got it both ways. From gear guys while I'm fly fishing, and from fly fisherman when I'm gear fishing. Neither is better or more productive at times. It's funny how many guys have accused me of flossing summer fish with a fly rod. Well, only problem I use damp/dry flies for steelhead. Kind of hard to actually floss a fish if they willingly RISE to hit the fly. I guess if it makes one feel better if they're not catching fish, then so be it (especially in my situation, that fish literally is seen coming up after the fly, even with a damp fly).

Personally speaking, I think this thread should just be closed. Most threads like this are purely gripes waiting to happen. You get way too many fights brew over crap like this. And people wonder why in WA we can never get anything passed in our favor? We can't even get along with ourselves. Maybe if we actually TRIED to get along, we'd do some good.

Northwest River Fisherman