SG

I appreciate your opinion.

What would be the backlash to the State be for effectively outlawing what is a current lawful fishery? "But we're going let these other guys fish it instead so we can make more money."

Isn't it really similar to an eminent domain issue? These fishermen own something, a permit, and they have a definable economic value, an income stream supported by tax returns. When the State takes something of value from a citizen so that they can convert it to what the State deems to be the highest and best use, they are required to pay that citizen for exercising eminent domain. The permits go a step further, because there is essentially a contract between the State and the fishermen. As long as there is sufficient escapement you can fish. The escapement exists but the State, through legislative action, says no, we'll let these guys fish for them instead so the State and its citizens are better served.

Equating a family run business to a mega bank being bailed out is a bit ridiculous, don't you think? You're saying these fishermen need to suck it up and deal with it?

While I bank lots of commercial fishermen, none of my clients or relatives hold commercial gill net licenses that I am aware of.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.