Originally Posted By: Rivrguy

I can and am that heartless. Try this I worked in the timber industry all my life as did my father and grandfather. When the owl came along many lost jobs, businesses went broke and wages tanked. Now there was retraining stuff but most just moved on and out of the area seeking work. So why should I feel that commercial fishers are any different than timber workers harvesting federal timber? They are not. The commercial gillnet fleet is living off public subsidies just as the timber industry was and it in the end will suffer the same fate. Times have changed and my family and friends have adapted as will the commercials, like it or not.

Logging is still happening, with some new rules. Also, the state didn't put loggers out of work so a lot of people could go cut their own personal firewood for fun. We have loggers in our family, and I bank a lot of loggers too. While I understand your situation, it is completely different from what is being proposed.

How do you reduce the commercial fishermen's numbers in an equitable manner? If you go directly after gill netters as you suggest, you'll likely bring ALL of commercial fishing against you, along with a host of others.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.