Maybe I don't have any serious reservations about this plan IF it means those other functions will come under the auspices of the Fish and Wildlife Commission. But, of course, that probably isn't what the Gov has in mind.

Several observations for those who don't get why its a potential disaster:

1. Initiative 45 resulted in the WDFW Commission, the policy setting group, appointed by the Governor and with the power to hire (and fire) the Director. That took much of the short term politics out of our resource management. And while I do not like all of the current decisions by the Commission one only needs to look at the overall education and experience of the Commission members to recognize that it is a very good deal for the citizens and resources of the State in terms of cost. After all, they essentially are reimbursed travel expenses for all of what they have to endure. Has to be a labor of love cause it isn't the money.

2. If we are having trouble finding enough money to do what needs to be done how is a consolidation going to save money within WDFW that will be reallocated within WDFW? Or will its resources (meaning your license fee monies) be siphoned off to other non-wildlife uses? Remember, Parks is also broke despite the Ft. Flagler water/sewer debacle (or maybe because of it) and has been in the process of divesting itself of assets (meaning various State parks). Do you really think the Parks Commission is up to dealing with the intricacies of fish and wildlife management? Will the new agency see WDFW lands as a resource to be sold off for short term gains to cover budget shortfalls? Remember, most of those were purchased with your money for legitimate wildlife management purposes. Or will those lands be retained but "Seattleized" by eliminating hunting or other consumptive uses?

3. Last in this current list is how will the State will manage its responsibilities to co-manage with the tribes?

I'd really like to see a detailed break-out of how this proposed merger will save money. If there isn't a detailed analysis then (as with a fish story that is not supported by fish pictures) it simply didn't happen/doesn't exist.

One might also suggest that this is achieving the goal of some legislators under the guise of the fiscal crisis.

And, no, I didn't vote for the repeal of the water and soda tax.

And, yes, it certainly can get worse!!!

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)