Originally Posted By: Larry B
Since I am on a roll let me opine about contracting out services. As a retired AF Contracting Officer I have had some experiences that are germane to this discussion.

Contracting out services may save money if the services to be provided are easily described in a Statement of Work and are sufficiently available in the area to result in good competition. However, the Government cannot become so reliant upon the contractor that it subsequently decides it cannot go through another new contractor learning curve and rationalizes NOT competing the requirement when the initial contract expires. Sole source negotiated contract anyone? One of the scary aspects of this is that an agency may end up reducing its own staff due to having available the resources of the contractor and later simply cannot wean itself. Guess who's driving the boat at that point???

John Q versus AuntyM = Draw

Yep Larry, Sole Source is really screwing the Pooch so they say & I have experienced first hand. It fact I was moved aside at BPA for raising so much hell about it. Later and after yet another "Re-Org" I was vindicated.

I still say the "Creative Competition" would greatly improved WDFW and also lower costs. And that "specious agruement" and multiple/mixed specialities (PC Weenies/Biologist) is just an exercise in "Hiding" FTE.

Just look at the "Ownership Costs" of the equipment & software alone, and not just the capital side of that equation because that's just the tip of the problem. It's the life Cycle costs associated with maintaining Hardware & Software, and annual license fee renewals and mis-categorized FTE running everywhere servicing the decentralization. That is the core fallacy that PC's are cheaper. Then telecommunications capital & maintenance costs of hardware (lines/Point-to-Point/Fiber/etc, etc) that is necessary to tie everything together is astronomical. I betcha they are holding onto their de-centralized server opinions just to support/justify keeping mis-categorized FTE, and fight tooth and toe-nail with concepts like Citrix.

And I agree with you regarding the trap of Sole Sourcing, contracts MUST be re-competed every five years. First year mandatory and re-newable annually after that, No Exceptions. And here is where WDFW is so stone aged, first they do not compete it, and secondarily, do not even think creatively. As an example, competition is NOT an all or nothing, in fact the best is blended. And that Blending can be "Fluid" depending upon circumstances, i.e., a downturn in the economy. Mostly major players in this market (MMDS/EDS/Source ADP (a biggie in Olympia)) cannot do the entire job well or economically, especially on a contract life basis. The real key to blending is first really examining just what Core Business Support Functions are and are NOT. Remember good old A-76??? The State could actually adopt A-76 and benefit tremendously. Structure RFP's that reward multiple service providers that have PROVEN TRACK RECORDS in their specialities. At BPA, what we found to be the best was FTE formed a Core, and multiple contractors provided specialized services & products.

That tired me out and reminded me what I retired from. And Youngster's, there still is NOTHING New Under The Sun, especially in Puter-Land.

AuntyM -- What Crab Audit???? Not That POS Senior AssHat Published!!!!

Hey Mr Childers, have you corrected that Scofflaw Spreadsheet Yet?????