Originally Posted By: AuntyM
I'm at the point where I don't care if this happens or not.

For too long, we have been unable to come to a consensus as to what is most important to us as a user group, fishing or recovery. Because of that indecisive, schizophrenic approach, we've not held WDFW accountable for their policies that adversely impact recovery, nor have we held them accountable for declines in opportunity. (see any crab policy thread for a perfect example)

WDFW wants more of our money, which they will then redistribute to the commercial sector in some manner, to keep them viable.
Hatchery production that primarily benefits commercial fishers (who don't pay their fair share) and likely has more adverse impact on recovery is still supported, but hatcheries that directly benefit sport fishing are to be cut?

When faced with large budget cuts, the director/dept chose to cut the low hanging fruit, choosing to keep mid and high level positions, just like most other state agencies.

As a user group, we've been treated like CRAP by a dept that should be looking out for the resource first and us second. The current WDFW Commission has tried to be fairer to us, but it appears even they are unable to change the mindset of most managers....

So, fire them all and let the tribes have the remaining fish and shellfish, including the management costs. It would probably serve us right, and would definately serve the non-tribal commercials right.

I am feeling just as poopy as sister Marsha right now, but we can't go there. Nobody else cares as much as we do. We do best taking the high road.